We Will Put You In A Better Place

We guide individuals and families through difficult family law matters such as divorce and child custody disputes, working for an outcome that puts you and your family in a better place.
  1. Home
  2.  » 
  3. Child Custody
  4.  » Relocation Of Custodial Parents

When Custodial Parents Wish To Move Out Of State

Custodial parents sometimes experience a change in circumstances that requires them to move out of state. It might be a new job, to be closer to family or to pursue higher education. These parents cannot simply take their children out of Massachusetts. There are things they must do before they can leave or they could find themselves facing serious consequences.

At Reade Law Firm, PC, in Peabody, we help parents who wish to leave the state with their children as well as those who oppose such a move. Our experienced attorney understands the complex emotional issues these matters present as well as the laws that apply to relocation cases. We can help ensure that you and your child find the answer that is right for your situation.

The Steps In A Relocation Case

In many cases, the custodial parent will first ask the other parent if he or she would be opposed to the child moving out of state. If there is no objection, the parent is free to leave with the child. The parents may still have some lingering issues regarding support or custody of the child after the move, and they may find themselves disagreeing over these issues, but that generally will not be enough to keep the child in state if the noncustodial parent already agreed to the move.

The real problems arise when the noncustodial parent refuses to allow the other parent to move out of state. Then, the matter is almost always headed for court. The noncustodial parent may have specific reasons for opposing the move, and it will be up to the courts to determine what they feel to be in the best interests of the child.

We know that these cases have high stakes, whether you are seeking the move or hoping to keep your child in state. You need to have a lawyer on your side when you learn that you are facing a potential relocation, because they are extremely complex cases. You really only have one opportunity to present your wishes to the court, and if you fail to make a strong case, you may miss out on important events in the life of your child.

Do Not Take Chances With Your Relocation Case

If you want to know more about what we can do to help you, call our office today at 978-767-4667 or send us an email. We will provide you with clear guidance about the relocation options that are available to you.