Many single parents rely on child support payments to take care of their children’s needs, especially following a divorce or separation. Whether you are seeking child support or wondering if you will need to pay support, Reade Law Firm, PC, can help you figure out what to expect and guide you through the legal issues involved.
We help parents in Essex County and Middlesex County with child support issues that arise in a variety of circumstances, including:
- Determining how child support factors into your divorce settlement
- Enforcing existing child support orders when the other parent fails to pay
- Requesting a court order to determine paternity in order to seek child support
How Is Child Support Calculated?
In Massachusetts, courts calculate child support based on factors, including:
- The gross income of both parents
- The amount of time each parent spends with the child
- The cost of health care and child care
While there is not typically room for negotiation on child support amounts, we can help make sure the court has a thorough understanding of the financial situation of you and the other parent and the needs of your children.
When Life Changes: Modifications To Support Orders
Child support orders are not permanent. If your children’s needs or your financial situation changes, your support agreement may need to change as well. Reade Law Firm, PC, can work with you to modify your child support order to better reflect your family’s current needs and both parents’ assets.